Monday, June 21, 2010

The Deep End Swimming Test



So, last year we didn't realize that Venya couldn't swim until Bobby was fully dressed and in the deep end of the swimming pool executing our first rescue mission. I remember the last words out of my mouth were, "Is he OKAY?". That was just before Bobby ran past me with a leap that only an ex-lifeguard could do. It was funny later in the day, but for a moment I remember rethinking the whole swimming pool installation...especially since the non-swimming victim weighed roughly 80 lbs and seemed to have no fear.

Anyway, this year we decided we would be smarter. We would be prepared. We would all go out together at the same time and ease our way into the pool...reminding Venya through a series of charades that THIS is the DEEP END!

Needless to say, we couldn't hold him back. I think I was two steps out of the back door when I heard his splash and began to watch the awkward, and awfully splashy, swim across the four foot area of the pool! Once again, I had all of those motherly thoughts that we mothers have around pools. I should remind him not to DIVE into the 4ft. area. I should figure out a way to tell him, "No running around the pool." I need to communicate that around the water we are very careful and by the way, wait for the adults to get out here before you go jumping in!

But how could I be so serious in the presence of such laughter? How do you slow a kid down (especially a boy) when he is so excited to be in the water that he can't decide exactly where to be in the water? I think in less than 2 minutes Venya and Sydney had every pool toy that we own out of the deck box and into the swimming pool. Bobby jokingly reminded that "the more you take out, the more you put away" to which we both laughed. Again, who could stop the excitement? Who would want to?

We swam for about an hour before coming in for lunch. Oh yeah, getting back to topic, he CAN swim and with each stroke he took yesterday he looked more like a "swimmer" and less like a "splasher." One of these days I'll get around to addressing the pool rules, but for now, I'll have a little faith and let the kid have some fun!

1 comment:

  1. I think he looks a little more grown up. Awwww. Don't forget to call Heather and have her go over the pool rules if you need to!

    ReplyDelete